Wednesday, February 23, 2011
The Future: Children
This is waaaay late, and I'll be posting a couple of blogs that I've had in my brain today. But I was recently in the Chicago/Riverdale/Michigan area for my Nana's memorial service. It was a lovely service, and since I'm quite tired of crying, that's all I'm going to say about it. I will say, though, that Nana's passing and spending time with that side of the family (many who I've never met before) brought home to me that I do have more than one family. I may spend most of my time with my mother's side but that doesn't make the other side any less important. I am resloved, to do my best to visit more often and keep in touch.
Another thing that being there made me think about is children. I am the oldest of "my generation" on that side of the family, even so I spent most of my time with my cousins (who proclaimed me the coolest adult ever, btw). They are amazingly wonderful, fun, well adjusted girls (from what I saw anyway). After spending time with them and my neices Amari and Amani (not twins) I found myself thinking that, when (not if, that was almost a surprise) I have kids, I hope they are as amazing as these amazing girls. Well Mani slept most of the time, but she was still adorable. All this on top of doting on the adorable Rainey, my other neice is making me a little baby crazy.
Now don't get me wrong (do I say that a lot?) I'm not planning on running out and getting pregnant. I have plans for my life and children aren't my immediate concern. But before when I or someone else spoke about children I automaticly said something like "a long time from now" or "waaaaay in the future" but I feel like that future is getting a lot closer now. Ultimately my plans right now are this: Graduate (one year), Get certified to teach English as a Second Language (a month? a summer?), Teach English in South Korea (two years at most), Come home and start teaching, hopefully in Greenville, SC (infinite), and eventually go to grad school. Minus grad school I essentially have the next 3 years of my life planned out and there's no room for children or even a serious relationship there(though I wouldn't mind having a non-serious relationship; I need some non-female friends). But once I get back to the states....who knows.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment