Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Pride Goeth Before a Fall

So, here I am, back at Converse for my Junior year. Words cannot express how happy and thankful I am to be here. I have so many plans for this year, chief among them being getting ready for Big Sis Little Sis. I'm SOOOOOOOO exicited and I have so many ideas for stuff to do for my littles. I still hope to go on the Jan term trip. That may or may not happen, but no matter what I'll be happy I had the opportunity.

It wouldn't surprise anyone to know that I almost didn't return to Converse (sounds familiar, huh?). I swear right here and now, that no matter how many times I'm not sure that "I'll be able to come back to Converse" or "They'll let me take finals" or "that I'll be able to buy books" I'm going to finish college and I'm going to be CONVERSE graduate. No matter what I have to do, this will come to be.

One of the things that this promise means is that, above all things, I have to let go of my pride(which is supposedly the hardest of the seven sins to overcome). I have always hated to ask for or accept the help of others. I didn't want people to think I was a charity case, or poor, or just unable to do something for myself. Now, I don't mean I never ask for help. If I don't understand something, or something is too heavy for me to move, I have no problem asking for help. With me it's the big things like in middle school when a girl noticed I didn't have that big of a wardrobe and tried to give me a backpack full of clothes (I was caught of guard, slightly insulted, and refused the offer). Money is the hardest thing for me to ask for or accept. It can be something as small as being out with friends and declining someone's offer to buy me something (I don't want to be seen as a mooch, either) or as big as not going to someone who can help me stay in school. Because of this I came so very very close to not being able to return to Converse and it's something that I cannot let happen again. My new (school) year resolution is to learn how to ask for help (and to do so in a timely manner).

No comments: